The quality and effectiveness of colostrum depends on three factors – the colostrum source, the testing and verification of active components, and the Liposomal Delivery (LD).
Colostrum Sourcing & Processing
- Sovereign Laboratories obtains its colostrum from pasture-raised Grade A dairy cows that are certified to be healthy, not supplemented with synthetic growth hormone (rBST*), not routinely administered antibiotics, and BSE-free.**
- All raw colostrum supplied to Sovereign Laboratories is tested to confirm that it is from the first milking and free of antibiotic residues and synthetic hormones.
- Sovereign Laboratories accepts colostrum from the first milking after the calf’s needs are met. This first-milking colostrum contains peak quantities of growth factors, low molecular weight polypeptides, lactoferrin, immunoglobulins and other active immune components. Approximately 18 liters of first-milking colostrum is collected and the calf gets about 4 liters. Sovereign Laboratories harvests the remaining 14 liters.
- The dairies supplying colostrum to Sovereign Laboratories are located across the United States with the majority located in the Southwest where the temperate climate allows for year-round calving.
- Sovereign Laboratories’ entire line of colostrum products are manufactured in the most technologically-advanced facility in the world, which is the only plant entirely dedicated to the manufacture of colostrum for human consumption.
- Our colostrum is flash pasteurized according to the to the most demanding of International Standards - 161°F for 15 seconds - to ensure the highest microbiological quality. This is significant because much of the colostrum currently being sold to the public has either (1) been prepared for the animal feed market and has not been pasteurized or (2) has been vat pasteurized which destroys the majority of the bioactive components.
Testing & Verification of Active Components
- Sovereign Laboratories' colostrum undergoes testing in our FDA licensed facility as well as periodic third party laboratories to ensure that every batch contains the bioactive components necessary to induce the desired health benefits. Any product that does not achieve the quantity and quality of components is rejected and returned for animal consumption.
- We utilize in-house High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) to analyze our colostrum after collection and after processing to ensure that all components are intact in minimum percentages and bioactive.
- Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) is employed in quality control, and manufacturing is performed under cGMP (certified Good Manufacturing Practices) and HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Procedures).
- Product is tested and certified not to contain Coliform bacteria, E. coli, Salmonella spp., Listeria spp., Staphylococcus aureus, Shigella spp., Bacillus cereus, Enterobacteriaceae spp., as well as yeast and mold.
- No other manufacturer takes these extraordinary steps to ensure that every colostrum product from Sovereign Laboratories meets the exacting pharmaceutical grade standard.
- Additionally, our entire professional line of colostrum products are Halal and Kosher certified.
LD Liposomal Delivery™
Our proprietary enhanced delivery system (liposomal delivery, or LD for short) is a phospholipid bilayer membrane that forms a continuous barrier around the colostrum. This ensures the colostrum will bypass digestion and readily dissolve in liquids and; will be transported through the bowel wall; will circulate throughout the body; will reach the organs and cells; and remain bioavailable at the cellular level. Without LD, colostrum loses most of its effectiveness.
- Colostrum does not oxidize in storage.
- Colostrum is not digested (digestion destroys colostrum’s bioactivity).
- Colostrum components are delivered through the bowel wall into the blood stream to reach all organs and cells wherever needed.
* rBST (bovine somatotrophin) - a growth hormone used to increase milk production in dairy cattle.
** BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) - a fatal neurodegenerative disease in cattle that can be transmitted to humans; known as “mad cow disease”.